Sunday, April 28, 2013

Meet Indie South Artist - Neogranny


Wooden souvenirs from a life well-travelled!

My work is very much based on my life. Each design is a small memento of the places I've been and the people I've known... a growing collection!

I am originally from Buffalo NY and have been fortunate to have lived in many places, settling into an old 60s ranch several years ago in North Carolina. All Neogranny goods are made in my Charlotte home with the fabulous support of my little girl Phoebe and my husband.

I am a photographer who loves to travel. I spent many years in CA and admire my lovely friends who bowl & dive & knit. I drink gobs of coffee and love to draw and design on my computer. I grew up with a rotary phone... shot film with my Pentax K-1000... remember the days before the Internet. My dad used to type on a blue Olivetti typewriter... I really want a 1950's Scout Camper... I draw from what I find meaningful.

Anyone who knows me can attest to my insatiable thrifting habits...flea markets, estate sales, GW (my personal slang for the Goodwill...I go 'G-dubbin' all the time), rummage sales, garage sales... you name it and I will be flipping a U-turn to pull over. Over the years, goodies have been getting harder to find, my collections have come and gone. They have been featured in my art, photographed, given away, lost in moves...

I love being inspired by the things I find and reproducing them for other people to connect with. There is a common link with the past and our collective memory. Most people I know have an affinity for old objects and wonder if we've lost something along the way of our incredibly fast techie world. 

I make little reminders of where we have all come from.
Neogranny on etsy



No comments:

Post a Comment