Sunday, April 21, 2013

Meet Indie South Artist - Rachel Cabiness

My name is Rachel Cabaniss and I make art inspired by the old days of country music and rockabilly. My paintings are on wood or other found objects, and usually incorporate things like bottle caps, beads, and vintage paper and fabric. I also make embroidered items such as tea towels and pillows. Recently I started making what I call Treasure Bears, which are small bears made of felt. Each bear has a pocket on the back to hold a tooth for the tooth fairy, or a tiny keepsake such as a coin or a stone. These bears are hand-stitched by me, using felt made in the US. 

I'm inspired by many people and things: Sun Records, Hank Williams, No Depression magazine, Hatch Show Print, comic artist R. Crumb, and the Who-Who-Da-Da artists, among countless others.




No comments:

Post a Comment